Thursday, August 15, 2013

Last Stop! Bratislava

Our view of the castle from our hostel window

My eurotrip was coming to an end and I was both happy and sad for it. Travelling is my passion and it makes me feel alive like nothing else can but, at the same time, it can get tiring seeing so many places in a such a short period of time. 

In the Old Town

Our last stop before heading home was one day and night in Bratislava, Slovakia. I was apprehensive to see this city purely for one reason only and that was "Hostel". That stupid horror movie (which was based in Bratislava) made me such a paranoid little white girl that I could've bypassed the whole city.


I'm thankful we did go though. :) Bratislava is a great little city and I enjoyed our short stay there. I thought the city pretty and quaint; more than I expected.



I liked the city from the moment we stepped off the train. There is something captivating about it. 

Fat and swollen, frozen sauasage fingers
We got a little lost trying to find our way to the hostel (how ironic) but we found it eventually and off we went on the guided tour. I lost my gloves while in Budapest, so my poor little fingers took such a beating from the cold. Also by this time, my camera's battery decided to die so I wasn't able to take many photos though I tried to take a few with my phone. 


The Blue Church

There are a few key things that caught my attention in the city that I will never forget and that includes the Blue Church. This adorable little church is found in the Old Town of Bratislava. It's commonly called the Blue Church because of its characteristically blue facade. Blue roof tiles, blue doors, blue walls; blue everything! 

The Bratislava castle sits above the city on a hill on the Danube river. Although we didn't go see it, it was a nice back drop to our explorations.




My favourite part of the city is the medieval old town that resides in the inner city. It's not as big as some other "old towns" in Europe but is quite pretty. Napoleon can be found eavesdropping on conversations. His statue is found in the market square. 

Napoleon statue in the market square

Soon we were on our way back to Warsaw to rest before Amanda, Erin and I got back to work and started teaching. I was so excited to send everyone postcards and to put up my new magnets on my fridge! 

There are many cool statues in the city
but this one was my favourite
Here's a link to my other posts for our mini eurotrip. Check them out! 

Eurotrip:
City 1: Wroclaw
City 2: Prague
City 3: Vienna Part 1 and Part 2
City 4: Budapest

A teenager skateboarding over the tram lines early in the morning
with the Bratislava Castle in the background



No comments:

Post a Comment