Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"The Bus F**king Left Me!"

In May I had my last holiday with my friends while in Poland. We decided to go to Gdansk. It is a beautiful sea port town in the north of the country on the Baltic Sea. The city is bursting with history as it was an important seaport and shipbuilding centre bringing an international population to this side of the world.

Along the port

But let me tell you how my lovely journey started...

Amanda and I drove from Radom to Warsaw in the morning and met Erin there. From the capital, it was just a five hour bus ride to Gdansk. Along the way, the bus stopped and everyone got out for a fifteen minute break. As women do, most of us went to the bathroom. I was last in line and that made me anxious. I don't like being last. Anyway, I went and I came out and walked to where the bus was meant to be and; surprise surprise... IT WAS GONE!

I looked to the left. No, not there. I looked to the right. Not there either. This is when I started laughing. This was not happening. I asked some girls if they saw the bus leave and, true as Bob, they did! That's when Amanda phoned me and all I said was, "THE BUS FUCKING LEFT ME!"

 I was stuck in the middle of nowhere. All I could see was this petrol stop and the surrounding forest.

Michelle, Erin, Amanda and myself in the Old Town

Everything was on the bus. My bags, money, ID, clothes; everything. All I had was my cell phone. Normally this bus service would count all the passengers to see that everyone was on before setting off again. Apparently not this time.

Amanda had tried to convince the driver to wait for the last passenger but he just stabbed at his watch and shook his head violently. Well thank you Mr Bus Driver. Just thanks. For nothing! I was so angry that I was literally stomping my foot and shouting at my phone like a crazy person.

Eventually some nice man on the bus that could speak English, spoke to the driver and we figured out that another bus was coming the same way within the hour. All I had to was wait. If the bus didn't come, I had resigned myself to hitch hiking.

The view from on top of the cathedral

The bus did come and I was able to convince them in very poor Polish that the stupid bus driver left me. Eventually I was on my way again.

When I arrived Amanda and Erin were waiting for me with a makeshift sign saying, Welcome. Seeing my friends melted away all my anger. I gave them a big hug and we started laughing at how great a story this was going to make. I guess they were right :)

The famous Poseidon statue

1 comment: