Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Land of a 1000 Welcomes

The widest street in Dublin


Ireland is fondly known as the land of a thousand welcomes. I truly got a taste, quite literally, of that little saying on the plane during my journey from Alicante to Dublin when, after showing his true Irish roots, a man also on his way to the city, convinced everyone around us that we had been dating for years and kissed me as we landed; "to keep your mind off the turbulence". It was definitely the most amusing flight I had ever been on and what a great way to start my adventure in Ireland!

Felicity and me
I arrived in Dublin and was  warmly welcomed into the Hamill family with open and loving arms. This was my first Christmas away from my family and although it was hard, I felt as though I was adopted temporarily into this amazing little clan that were kind enough to let me into their home.

I was greeted by a new language; English like I'd never heard it before. Words like "fair play" and "grand" mixing with "slainte" but it was "yer man" that bested me until finally I figured out that it meant referring to a man you don't know the name of. More than once I replied that no, I'm single but thanks for asking.

Finding our way to Glendalough


I had never been to Ireland before and was amazed at how beautiful the country truly is. Sometimes you have expectations of places and they don't always live up to them. I was happily surprised that the country lived up to its reputation.

The cemetery in Glendalough


I've never seen a street
tell me which way to look
The streets were chaos during the Christmas rush; I heard the typical Dublin accent with "quality wrapping papers" as we headed down Henry Street towards Mary Street. At times I would just stop walking and stay in the same spot until people stopped battering me around.



I visited Trinity College and had my first Guiness at Pygmalion. I hunted for my usual magnet and postcard. Dublin itself is a great city but I need to go back to see more of it and really experience what the city has to offer.


"Merry Christmas"
I had my first "traditional" Christmas dinner with stuffed turkey, ham and Christmas pudding! In South Africa, my family celebrates a regular Polish Christmas eve dinner rather than Christmas day. It was my first holiday season away from my family and it was so great not feeling so far from home; I felt at ease and I enjoyed my time with the Hamills.







An Irish sunset



"Wherever you go and whatever you do,
May the luck of the Irish
Always be with you."
An Irish Blessing

The view in Glendalough

No comments:

Post a Comment