Sunday, November 23, 2014

Introducing Granada

“Give him an offering, my lady, for there is no greater tragedy than that of the blind man in Granada.” 

The Alhambra can always be seen from the Albaycin district

The Darro river below the Alhambra
The above quote perfectly captures the truth of how majestic this city truly is. The first time I laid eyes on this bewitching place, I lost myself in it. I have left tiny pieces of my heart in a few cities, but Granada has magic that I hadn't expected to find. I was absolutely in awe of what I saw; of how I felt whilst walking the streets of the old city. I was captivated. Spellbound.

Although I haven't visited all the major cities of Spain, I would definitely say that, regardless,  Granada is by far my favourite. I have been to this ancient city twice; in winter as well as summer. Weather doesn't lessen the impression of magic you feel when you're wandering this city.

It's located in Andalusia, the south of Spain, in the Sierra Nevada mountains, which is the perfect snow capped destination for some winter skiing and yet only an hour away from the beach.

Just a bit a bit shoe tossing
History seeps through every nook and cranny; through every grand, main street and winding side alley. A short summary of the city involves the Moors, the Christians and the Jews, which are all tied up in a very long and complicated history that dates back hundreds of years. Granada held great importance in those days, evidenced by the grand citadel, the Alhambra. 



The city's old town called Albaycin, was once the Muslim quarter and faces the Alhambra. The district is made up of narrow streets and white washed houses with the perfect view of the Moorish palace. It is typical to find Arabic tea shops and shops selling goods from North Africa. I slowly wandered those colourful streets, caught in a bubble of culture, so different to what I knew and experienced previously. The quarter is situated on a hill and the labrynthine streets, which wind every which way, can be confusing at times but adds to the charm of the area; it is also my personal favourite part of Granada.

The old town behind me

The vibe of the city is quite youthful and hippy-esque with people in free flowing clothes, drum circles, jewellery making and long, braided hair. Gypsies also wander the streets, vying towards towards tourists with pieces of lavender to pass along as "gifts", yet don't be fooled. It's a ruse for "donations" for those little pieces of herb and to read your palm. That or you have a wild gypsy lady shouting at you and could may as well be cursing your family line.


View from the steps of the cathedral

Albaycin district


At night, the streets are teeming with both locals and tourists that come to the bars for drinks and free tapas. There's no need to eat out when there is an array of bars to choose from to keep you fill and relatively sober to carry on drinking. Granada is particularly famous for it.






I've been to this city single and I've been to this city not-so-single; both times were great, with memories that will stay with me forever. Granada has everything: history, beauty, nightlife, accessibility and not to mention the locals are friendly and helpful too.

One of the market streets

Granada is a treasured gem; every memory made there to be cherished and every smile shared there, remembered. It's as if the city wants you to fall in love with it; the scenery captures a feeling of true happiness. Definitely worth visiting somewhere along your life's path.

"Probably... the most beautiful and haunting of all Spanish cities; an African paradise set under the Sierras like a rose preserved in snow."
- Laurie Lee

Snow-capped Sierra Nevada in the distance















1 comment: